Thursday, March 3, 2011

Embrace your solitude!

I found this video on Sarah's blog and am absolutely in love with it!

Is this not the most adorable poem?! My favorite line is this, "if you are happy in your head, then solitude is blessed and alone is ok" 

I love being alone, but I think that in our society that is not the norm. So many people are uncomfortable just being with themselves, and I don't mean being alone as in, not in a relationship, I mean just time spent alone. That is another unfortunate trend, so often people think that because they are in a relationship they no longer need to spend quality time with themselves. (Side note; remember my post about the religious weight loss lady who was advising this woman to eat with a friend on webcam so avoid some sort of evil that comes from being alone?!)

As I said, my introverted self is super comfortable with being alone, I actually crave alone time if I don't get it regularly. That said though, I know much of society is not this way. I really truly do think it is important though to find comfort in it. If you are not comfortable being with yourself, how can you truly know yourself? I know it can be difficult though for many people, that is why I love this video so much. She honors that discomfort in an adorable little way, while also highlighting the absolute joy of being with yourself! I love her ideas and here are a few of my favorite ways to "ease into" being with yourself...

Go out to eat by yourself, you can order whatever you want!


Go to a movie, you can form your own opinions about it and eat an entire tub of popcorn!

My personal favorite, go to a coffee shop or an early happy hour, they are the best times to read a book and simultaneously people watch, believe me it's awesome!

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Considering the fact that i traveled alone to Paris, it showed that I obviously enjoy time alone. I had a fabulous time and I was not alone. There is a difference between being alone and being lonely. People don't understand that. There have actually been phases in my life where i have been in a relationship and have felt MORE lonely than I would if I was alone... So yah, I totally get what you are saying. I think it's good for everyone to get to the point where you are ok & enjoy being alone. It shows you are comfortable with yourself and let's face it - if you aren't comfortable with yourself, how the hell are you going to be comfortable with someone else?

Wow, total rant there. I guess I am just tired of the looks pity I get when I say I went to Paris alone, or when I have had to explain why I went alone!!

Mel's Way or No Way said...

I LOVE alone time and lack of it makes me grumpy.

The people who are uncomfortable alone are usually uncomfortable with silence too. You know the ones who have to chatter constantly just to fill the space. Finding someone you can be silent with is a gift.

crystal said...

I am so excited I get to be neighbors to you 2 soon! :)

Lisa ~ I can't believe you are getting pity looks for going on a solo trip to Paris! It is the trip of a lifetime and Im sure most of those looks are more a reflection of the giver's jealousy rather than any reflection of you!

Mel ~ I completely agree about silence, there is just not enough of it in this crazy world!