Monday, July 27, 2009

Learning how to sail my ship...

Someone asked me what my blog title meant the other day, so I figured I would share. It is from a quote by Louisa May Alcott (the author of Little Women); "I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship." For me, this quote represents the growth gained from the difficult times in life. I feel that once you have been through something painfully hard (aka; the storm) you gain perspective and better skills for handling the next one (hence; sailing the ship). I am a very strong believer in attending to and fully experiencing (to the extent that is safe for you) the difficult times in life because it is the struggles that makes us strong.

The thing that I love the most about quotes is that they are truely understood through the lense of the reader. One little sentence can mean a million different things to different people. I was in a group therapy class this summer and one of the exercises was to pick a quote from a bag and use art to create a representation of it's meaning to you. When we were sharing our creations, it was amazing to see the different ways that people made meaning out of the quotes. So, the next time someone shares a favorite quote with you, ask them to elaborate on it's meaning in their life. Not only does it allow them the space to share something meaningful to them, it can be an amazing glimpse into someones inner self.

And here is a few more of my favs!

"Sometimes seeming happy can be self-destructive, even when you're sane" ~ Brandi Carlile (singer/song writer)
-I love this one because it reminds me to feel my emotions and not hide them behind a front of happiness. I think we do that a lot to keep others from being uncomfortable, but emotional expression should be embraced, not shunned.

"I close my eyes in order to see" ~ Paul Gaugin (artist)
and
"An unexamined life is not worth living" ~ Socrates
-These 2 show the value of fully understanding yourself.

"To observe without evaluating is the highest form of intelligence" ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
-We all need a constant reminder to be the most nonjudgmental person we can be. I strive for my highest level of open-mindedness so that I can be open to all the wonderful new experiences that are available in this eclectically vast world.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
-Who doesn't love a good Dr. Seuss quote?! Plus, this is a reminder to embrace one of my favorite human qualities; quirkiness!

I love to hear good quotes, anyone have any other favorites to share?

5 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

What a great post. I love quotes! It is so true though - when you are in the middle of a storm of life, it feels so bleak, but now looking back, I know I am the person I am because of the struggles I've been through!

N. Congo said...

Excellent post!

I'm a big fan of quotes. Sometimes, when I need answers, I'll look up some quotes. George Burns and Woody Allen have some excellent quotes.

Anonymous said...

Brandi's songs are full of quotable lines! love her. That's a favorite of mine too, assures me that the range of other emotions can be just as valuable (if not as enjoyable)as happines.

crystal said...

Gotta love a comment by an anonymous Brandi lover! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.