Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What does this say to young girls??!!

This is what is wrong with our society! Why do we need models that are so skinny they are sick? How do you make a size 4 woman feel fat?! Seriously, I am baffled by this. This picture is absolutely disgusting! It isn't even physically possible to be this skinny, why photoshop a beautiful skinny girl down to an alien looking form?

I know I am not alone in my belief that a confident, healthy woman is far more attractive than a sickly one who feels fat in her size 1 jeans! Case in point; Dr. Torres on Grey's Anatomy is leaps and bounds more attractive to me than Dr. Grey!! (And no, the irony of the fact that I had to pull a fictional character as a reference rather than a real woman in our society is not lost on me) She is confident in her skin, she even danced around in her underwear on tv!!

Why are we setting this unattainable goal for our women? If our society is making models feel fat, there is something that needs to be changed! We need to embrace ourselves and find a way to be comfortable in our skin. I am not saying anything is wrong with wanting to look good. But, you do not have to look like a photoshoped model in order to do so. Be happy with your unique aspects, it is what makes us different! Be healthy, eat well, find a weight that is comfortable for you, then flaunt it! Confidence and uniqueness are far more sexy than trying to fit some predetermined mold! Come on girls, nobody wants to be a plastic Barbie, how incredibly dull! Let yourself age, embrace your laugh lines, they are proof that you are living! Enjoy life and enjoy food, do you really want to die wishing you had eaten that piece of oreo cheesecake?!

Much thanks to Dove for using real people as their models!!

5 comments:

Moose said...

That RL ad is sick! I have noticed lots of ads and celeb photos lately where they look like their heads are freakishly large like they are human Bratz dolls! Sick! I am convinced I will never be comfortable in my own skin and blame BS like this!
I also think it is no coincidence that models are getting thinner (or at least photoshopped that way) as our population gets fatter. I think it fosters a feeling of 'I can't look like that so why even try'. sad...

Mel's Way or No Way said...

SICK!!! I look at that ad and think that looks unattractive but unfortunately there are too many women who look at that an see it as ideal. Welcome to the world of eating disorders!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yuck. That skinny model is disgusting. I saw someone at work today - it looked like she could snap in half. it was disgusting.

I wish our society had a healthier body image or conception of what beauty is...

Anonymous said...

I agree, that extremely skinny model is so unattractive. I know so many men who like girls with meat on their bones, or atleast enough that you can't count their ribs. Sheesh...I hope most kids can find a better role model, because celebrities these days are failing miserably.

--Konnor

Chubby Girls Can Run said...

CHUBBY GIRLS ROCK, If they eat right and exercise.....:) I enjoyed this blog, since you are aware of my struggle with weight and trying to stay healthy by allowing your gf to kick my ass!!