Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fighting for Justice

The Oprah show today is honoring the Freedom Riders as today is the 50th anniversary.
I will admit, I did not know much about them, I had heard of them and knew this movement was pivotal in repealing the Jim Crow laws, but that was about it. What I didn't know was that all of the Freedom Riders were ordinary people, black and white, who volunteered to risk their lives to defend equality and the rights of others.
I am in awe, not only at the level of hatred and violence that is in this world, but even more so for the bravery and compassion of those willing to stand up against it. I can be very emotional about the values that I believe in. I can not imagine though being able to find the courage to agree to this, to train to be nonviolent in the face of abuse, to sign my will and get on that bus. As someone who feels passionately about advocating for the disenfranchised, I have so much respect and adoration to these brave men and women. As I said, I am in awe!

Thank you to all the Freedom Riders and happy anniversary

Thoughts?... Did you guys see Oprah or know the details of this amazing event? Would you have been able to get on that bus?! Is there anything you feel this passionately about, enough to risk your life defending?

1 comment:

Heathrow's World said...

I saw parts of the show, and honestly had no idea what this was about. Did I learn this in highschool? If so, I don't remember it.
Not sure if I could have gotten on that bus or not. Part of me thinks yes, but only if I was a single woman. Not married with a child. But another part of me thinks theres no way I could have done it...