Friday, January 1, 2010

No resolutions....


I have never really been one to make New Years resolutions, its all a little too cliche for me. My vegetarianism was technically a resolution 3 years ago, but it was something I was going to do anyways, New Years just gave a good date to start it! As I was reading through all the resolution and New Years (is that supposed to be capitalized?!) posts though, I found this idea to be very inspiring.

I find myself drawn towards words that epitomize a situation or that are particularly meaningful. That is part of my introverted nature, we are not generally drawn to outside stimuli, so when we are it is generally meaningful....anyways, I digress! So, the idea of picking a word to focus on for the year, rather than goals that are too easily broken, was something that I was immediately drawn to.

So, I started to think about what is to come for me in 2010 and decide on a word that will help me to make the most of it. I chose balance (I just realized now that is one of the words in her original post, I swear I didn't steal that also, only the idea of the word!). 


My year is going to be busy and likely very stressful. I am focusing on my dissertation, with a pretty strict timeline set out for me by my chair (professor who acts as my advisor and keeps me accountable during the process...and ultimately decides if I pass) who I really respect and do not want to disappoint. I am also finishing up my coursework and am going to start a job in the field part time. One of the things that I have struggled with throughout grad school so far is the ability to allow myself personal time and...well, a life basically!...while also focusing on what needs to be done for school. I anticipate that I will need quite a bit of self care in order to get through the struggles of the year. This is why I chose balance, it is a very hard thing for me to find, but also something that I find to be essential for my well being. Wish me luck!

What are your resolutions/goals/aspirations/hopes/etc.. for 2010?!

2 comments:

two cat scene said...

Heyyyyy! :) there's a link to my blog! Words are words, they don't belong to anyone- hope balance works for you. Good luck with the writing....

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I should also work on balance. It is something I haven't been very good at lately!!

I am not doing resolutions this year either - instead I am posting a list of 30 things I want to accomplish before my 30th birthday and I will be posting that in February!