Friday, August 28, 2009

My Squishy..


I love my cat! Her name is Squash, but we call her Squishy. She is seriously the cutest thing in the entire world....ok, I admit that I may be biased, but just look at her!
Why the name Squash you ask? She was brought into the vet clinic I was working at back home. She was only a couple of weeks old and was brought in by some kids. They said that they were supposed to be feeding their neighbors kittens while she was gone. They went over to check on them and found her crying on the floor with blood on her. So the vet went to work giving her medication and trying to figure out what was wrong. She didn't cry if we held her so we all took turns holding her while we tried to get ahold of the owner. She finally answered her phone and we found out that she was at Sturgis. She said she had rolled her over with a rocking chair but left her there because "I didn't want to be late for Sturgis!" We told her what we were doing and she said she didn't want to spend any money on her so just put her to sleep. Well by this time we were all attached, so she became a clinic project.
She was paralyzed and couldn't eat. We hand fed her watered down wed food and gave her shots in her little back 3 times a day. Then the weekend came and the sucker that I am, I offered to take her home and continue her treatments. Well as you can imagine, I fell in love! Who wouldn't? She was teeny tiny, would cry until you held her, and was fighting like hell to be able to walk. I didn't really have the time or money to take another pet so I was trying to talk myself out of it. But then one night she was sitting in my lap on the floor and she found a way to drag her little 2lb self over to my dog Beau and curled up in his tail....I was hooked for life! Beau wasn't so sure, but she even grew on him.
That was 5 years ago. Today Squash is a moody and very odd cat. She tries really hard but somehow doesn't always make it in the litter box so we have to have a system rigged up to make it work for her. She walks louder than our 100lb dog even though she only weighs about 5lbs. Any amount of stress in her life caused her entire butt end to go bald for months. She never grew into her meow so she still sounds like a kitten. She hates everyone in the world except for us and would likely cause serious bodily harm if she felt it was required. She plays with invisible bugs and climbs the walls to get them. She quite often forgets what she is doing and walks family circus style paths through the house trying to figure it out.
Moral of the story: Save a life, adopt your pets. It can be a hassle I know, but I believe that everyone in the world needs a Squishy!
Anyone else have crazy pet stories? I know you do.....

1 comment:

Emeraldstone said...

Squishy is so cute! I love cats.