Friday, September 10, 2010

"Greatness lives on the edge of destruction"

I was watching the Will and Jada Smith family on Oprah today (a rerun from May, I think?) and Will made this statement in reference to the amount of work his son went through for a movie. I love this quote!! I think it honors the significance of hard work and how the payoff of pushing yourself to the point of breaking is....well, greatness!

I googled it afterwards, assuming that it was a quote he borrowed from a philosopher or someone. From what I can tell though, it was an original Will! I did although, find a lot of controversy over it. Apparently people thought he overworked his kid, who was 11 at the time. I don't know, I think hard work is good and I find it to be far better than a rich kid who is handed everything in life on a silver platter...

What are your thoughts on it though? Do you think life should be easier? That "the edge of destruction" is a bit too far? 

Personally, I love it. I like to think that when I feel at the edge of my destruction, really I'm just that much closer to greatness!

(On a side note: is the Smith family not absolutely perfect? Yeesh!!)

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That is a great quote! I totally agree... Well done, Will Smith! I think it's better that the kid had to actually work hard in his role... It would bother me if he just had to show up on the set each day and not really put forth effort. He might as well see from an early age how hard it is to be successful...