Sunday, March 21, 2010

Life!

When I discovered the Planet Earth series, I was instantly hooked. The life and landscape of our planet is so wonderfully amazing to me. Rachel bought it for me for my birthday last year, and I think I watched the entire thing in 1 weekend. So, when I heard the follow up series, Life was starting on Discovery, I was ecstatic!!
It premiered tonight, and it was absolutely breathtaking! They showed a 1 inch frog who lives on mountain tops and makes his body rigid to become a tumbling pebble to avoid prey, dolphins who make a "net" in the water to persuade fish to literally jump into their mouths, and so much more.



I find nature to be so fascinating. As I have posted before, I am far far more amazed by nature and animals than by anything our egocentric species has ever done. The strawberry dart frog is the size of a fingernail and climbs trees up to half a mile long just to find a perfect place to put each one of her tadpoles. How amazing is that?! Our species often complains about paying for childcare or cleaning up toys! I think the difference is a sense of focus and simplicity sought in life. We do a million things at once, while most animal species do one or two things at a time, and do them amazingly well. I believe that this is a very valuable lesson, and one of the many that we can take from simply observing the immense wonder that surrounds us but is so often looked over or taken for granted.

Did anyone else watch Life today or has anyone seen Planet Earth? Thoughts?

1 comment:

Mel's Way or No Way said...

I've seen Planet Earth but have not watched Life yet. I will definitely be catching it though.

It amazes me what nature is capable of achieving.